The Student News Site of Williamsport Area High School

Billtown Banner

Billtown Banner

Billtown Banner

Army pays a visit to students

Jayla+Green-Paul+participates+in+the+drunk+driving+simulation+using+VR+goggles+
Jayla Green-Paul participates in the drunk driving simulation using VR goggles

On October 12th, members of the Army spent the day at Williamsport Area High School.  Students had the chance to explore a variety of activities while touring the inside of the Army bus. This gave students considering a career in the Army a chance to speak with recruiters and active duty members firsthand.

Infantryman Mike Smith was one of the people available to speak to during the visit. Smith, originally from Pittsburgh, has been in the Army for almost 11 years. He spoke in depth about his hesitation of joining at first.

“I did plumbing with my brother-in-law, which I determined wasn’t for me Smith explained. Smith talked about his wanting to always serve, but never took the risk. Eventually, when he did join, he anticipated only serving for three years.

Now, Smith is just a year away from promotion and plans to continue his service. He emphasized that jumping into something new may lead you to greater success.

Upperclassmen visited the lab during their social studies classes. Students were appreciative of the opportunity to meet with representatives from the military and explore the stations offered. “The virtual reality activity was cool. It gave me a realistic look on drunk driving,” says Jayla Green-Paul.