The Student News Site of Williamsport Area High School

Billtown Banner

Billtown Banner

Billtown Banner

Students perform Make-A-Wish benefit concert

Under the direction of Ella Wilson, Normandy Broaddus, and Kathryn Niklaus, a group of Williamsport Area High School students presented the Make-A-Wish benefit concert on Friday evening. The entire project was student-driven.

“My sister organized the show last year, so I knew I was interested in being involved this year,” junior Normandy Broaddus explained.

Like Broaddas, senior Ella Wilson had a personal connection to the cause as well.  “My cousin was a “Wish Kid” when she was younger. The children and the families benefit so much from Make-A-Wish,” she added, “so I wanted to give back.”

Broaddus was a competitive dancer her entire life until she started high school, so she was responsible for choreographing the event. “I used to dance over 30 hours a week. I just couldn’t keep it up once I started high school and started taking AP and higher level classes. I didn’t have time anymore.”

Although they both reported putting on the show was stressful, they both agreed it was very fun.

“Being able to dance is very different from trying to teach people who have no background how to dance. That was hard,” Broaddus reflected.

Kathryn Niklaus has also danced since she was young and helped with the choreography.

The group had a goal of raising $10,000 for Make-A-Wish.  At the time of the show, they had already met their goal.  They also collected another $2200 in donations at the door on Friday, and the final total raised was $13,500.

“I was really glad to be able to exceed our goal,” Wilson said.

“It was so much fun,” added senior Chloe Campbell. “It was a little intimidating thinking about performing in front of a bunch of people, but it really wasn’t that bad,” she added.