The Student News Site of Williamsport Area High School

Billtown Banner

Billtown Banner

Billtown Banner

Integrated science students study temperature

Desiraye+Williams+%28left%29+and+Josie+Wilson+attach+a+surface+temperature+probe+to+a+window.+
Desiraye Williams (left) and Josie Wilson attach a surface temperature probe to a window.

Students in Mr. Schneider’s integrated science classes are collecting and analyzing temperature data the month of December.

“We have five temperatures to check each day: the window, the brick next to the window, the classroom, the hub, an outside” explained Josie Wilson. “We use a surface temperature probe because Mr. Schneider taught us that they are more accurate than thermometers,” added Desiraye Williams.

Students chart the data each day to and answer a series of four questions about the results. “The probes are bluetooth connected to our computers, so we can read the data from our computers every day,” Williams explained.

The data is mostly consistent with what the students expected to find. “Obviously, the numbers keep going down for the outside temp because it has been getting cold,” said Williams. “But it stays within a couple degrees in the hub, around 70.

There was one detail students found interesting.”I was actually surprised by how the temperature in the classroom stays the same every single day,” reflected Wilson.