The Student News Site of Williamsport Area High School

Billtown Banner

Billtown Banner

Billtown Banner

WAHS adds unified bocce ball team

Elizabeth Haussmann takes her turn while Adam Hinojosa and Connor Poole look on.

Under the leadership of Ms. Caitlin Clemons, the unified bocce ball team is preparing for their inaugural season.

Bocce ball is a game where each team or player rolls four balls, trying to locate their balls closest to the pallino.  The pallino is a small ball that is rolled out to begin the game. Players who place their balls closest to the pallino score points.  As the game continues, players can try to place their balls closest to the pallino, or they can try to knock their opponents’ balls away from it.

“It has been so much fun,” reported Lily Hammack. “I have known Ms. Clemons since I was little, she taught me how to solve the rubik’s cube,” Hammack explained. “So when she asked me to join the team, I thought, this is the perfect kind of sport for me!”

The partners on the team support the athletes during competition, but they are not permitted inside the court. “We have chairs along side the court, and between rolls, we can strategize with the athletes and give them pointers, but once they step into the court, we cannot be involved with the game,” Hammack explained. “We can cheer for them, though,” Hammack added.

Team members include:

Seniors: Elizabeth Haussmann (athlete), Adam Hinojosa (athlete), Connor Poole (partner), and Abbigail Robertson (partner)

Junior: Lily Hammack (partner)

Freshman: Evan Blass (athlete), Lydia Gehron (partner), and Mariah Mumford (athlete)

The team has six matches this year.  The first home match is Tuesday, December 12 against Shikellamy High School at 3:30 p.m. They also have home matches on Tuesday, January 23 and Thursday, February 1.

Front: Abby Robertson, Lily Hammack, Adam Hinojosa, Elizabeth Haussmann
Back: Connor Poole, Mariah Mumford, Lydia Gehron, Evan Blass